New Roof Part III
It is AMAZING to see the transformation that is happening in our church here in Portugal, Igreja Evangélica Batista de Arruda dos Vinhos. MUCH has happened since our last post, and we have MUCH to be thankful for. Please take the time to read the narrative below (from our October Prayer Letter) about the miraculous way in which GOD has provided for many much-needed repairs to our church here in Portugal through Northeastern Baptist Church in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
LIVING IN THE MIDDLE OF A MIRACLE!
In July of 2011, the senior pastor from our sending church accompanied two ministry teams who came to help with Summer Camps. During this visit, he shared with Rod that he would like for our church in Michigan (NBC) to take on the project of raising funds for a new roof for the church here in Arruda. After that conversation, the general economy continued to worsen, with Michigan’s economy being one of the worst in the nation due to the auto industry. This caused many of the NBC families to move out-of-state for jobs. For this reason, we began to wonder whether or not NBC would be able to raise the funds needed for the roof. Still, our NBC pastor asked Rod to pursue the matter, getting quotes, etc.
Our NBC pastor, stepping out on his and the deacons’ faith, announced the Arruda Roof project (called Project Joy) the following March during their yearly missions’ conference. Pastor’s goal was to completely raise the funds during the conference, but only a fraction was raised by the end of the 3-week conference. Still, NBC carried on with Project Joy. In the meantime, the exchange rate moved in our favor – the lowest in years – and the time came when the funds raised in Michigan would cover the majority of the cost of the new roof. The funds were wired – twice – as they got lost in the banking system for about a month.
Not too long after the roof job commenced, the rafters supporting one section of the roof were found rotting–a cost not covered by the contract. Rod pulled pieces of wood off the existing rafters and crumbled them in his hand; there was no doubt they needed to be replaced—another cost covered by NBC’s congregation. Finally, our NBC pastor asked for a final figure to finish the project. The need was announced and much more than that amount was given for our church here in Arruda. God’s blessings continue to overflow!
At the completion of the job, we were told by our roofer, a believer, that his accountant said that we did not need to pay IVA (€4,000). As an incentive to new businesses, Portugal does not require companies to pay IVA (taxes) in their first year, and our roofing job was completed during the final month of his first year exemption. God’s timing again! This gave us yet more funds for much-needed repairs to the building.
All along the way, we have been amazed to see how God has provided at just the right time, WAY BEYOND WHAT WE ASK OR THINK. Ephesians 3: 20—21 says:
Now unto Him that is able to do exceeding abundantly
above all that we ask or think, according to the power that
worketh in us, unto Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.
We have truly been “Living in the Middle of a Miracle”, and GOD has done it all.
To Him alone be the glory!!!!
THANK YOU, GOD, for working through
Northeastern Baptist Church to allow the following
repairs to be made to Arruda’s building:
COMPLETED PROJECT LIST—
· Completely new roof including repairs to support beams
· Complete replacement of sanctuary and entry-way ceiling tiles
· New drywall ceiling in upper level (nursery area)
· Repair of cracked walls and painting of the exterior of the building, including the purchase of commercial quality paint (very expensive here)
· Mold removal and partial painting of the interior of the building, also including purchase of paint
· Repair of the AC/Heater units (no more seeing our breath during service or our pastor preaching in his winter coat :) )
· New outside lighting—replacement of non-working light fixtures
· New transformer/ballast for inside non-working light fixtures
· New stove and refrigerator
· New laptop computer and needed software
· Ladies’ bathroom plumbing repaired—rocks in the sewer lines prevented flushing
· Sixteen new Bibles purchased for congregational use
· Book of Bible-time Maps purchased for use in Sunday School
· Coffee Pot purchased—to replace broken pot
· Janitorial supplies purchased
PROJECTS IN PROCESS—
· Landscaping rocks and weed barrier purchased for gardens—labor not yet completed
PROJECTS BUDGETED FOR—not yet completed
· New carpet in church nursery
· Completion of inside painting
POSSIBLE PROJECTS TO COME—if God allows….
· Crib and/or changing table for nursery
· Painting of youth room and nursery
· New tiles for kitchen walls and floors
· Coat rack
· Replacement of one more non-working light fixture